Monday, March 12, 2012

An email to my family



I have some really good news I want to share with you all.  I have turned the corner and am enjoying life again.  I titled my last blog post, "Put your funeral clothes away!"  Let me give you a little history.

On December 15th I experienced the most agonizing night of my life.  The pain was all consuming and I could not get relief.  The next day (on the advice of my GERMAN NEW MEDICINE doctor) I called Hospice for pain management and wound care (Hospice doesn't mean "one foot in the grave").  They were here the next morning and I had pain meds in my bloodstream that afternoon.  What a big help.  Not great, but still a help.  It took about 2 weeks for them to realize that morphine was what I needed.  Now, I was feeling much better.

Again, on the advice of my GNM doc I went to a wound care clinic in mid January.  The doctor there asked what oncology I was using and when I told him that I wasn't using oncology he dismissed me by saying he could not do anything for me.  He then took Preston out in the hall the speak in private.  We know what THAT conversation was, don't we?!

While they were out of the room the nurse said that she could help me feel more comfortable and told me what I needed to do in terms of cleaning the wound and gave me a dressing to use. That was the catalyst for the turning point.  The dressing relieved 99% of my pain (which was now a 5 instead of a 10 thanks to the morphine).  It is called Mepilex Transfer and has been a godsend.

Now with the new dressing my pain was less then a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I started sleeping 7-8 hours a night.  Prior to that I was happy if I got 4-5 hours of  sleep.  In deep sleep is the only time a body heals and with all that glorious sleep my body started making up for lost time.  My energy increased and then my appetite returned and then I got more energy.  Over the last 4 weeks I have started driving and doing light errands again.  I even went out on our boat last week!

I went back to the wound care clinic under the care of a different doctor who agreed to treat me palliatively which is all I wanted anyway.  It was my 3 week follow up.  The doc and nurse were SHOCKED by the progress the wound had made.  The doc said she would have been pleased if the wound had stopped growing, much less starting to close and look so healthy.  Since that visit I have started using a product from New Zealand called Medihoney.  Now the wound is practically closing before our very eyes.

I still have a long way to go.  I have to rest a lot, nap often and be careful not to over do it, but I am having a great time healing!  The cats even stopped sitting vigil and became playful.  They have been constant companions, bringing good energy to me while removing the bad.

I know I would not be anywhere near this healed if it had not been for the unending care and love I have gotten from my Preston.  In December he was with me almost 24/7. I was in such a bad way and he did everything for me. He had a difficult few months taking care of me and is so relieved and happy to see me functioning again.  I even get in the kitchen and cook once in a while which is one of my favorite things to do - nourish my family!  He is long over due for some nourishing and I look forward to being able to give back to him and all that have been so supportive!

Please feel free to share my blog...I think it is important that woman know they can survive breast cancer if they opt out of the cuts, chemicals and burns of the cancer industry.

Much love and good health to you all,
Cyn

7 comments:

  1. Cynthia---THAT'S GREAT NEWS! So glad you've used this challenge to enlighten & inspire others. Most of us could not find that bravery within ourselves.Just a thought--maybe provide a link to Medihoney?
    And wondering at what point will you change you blog title to 'had' instead of 'have' cancer?
    So proud of you & Preston & the kitties. Amazing what love, diligence & wisdom can create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions. After several attempts I finally was able to get the links in place for Mepilex and Medihoney. Love the title change idea and will do so as soon as I am completely healed. That part of this journey will be a lot easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEAR CYNTH',

    I RECEIVED YOUR BLOG UPDATE AND AM THRILLED FOR YOU AND ALL OF THE WOMEN WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM YOUR PIONEERING EXPLORATION OF ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS FOR BREAST CANCER. YOU ARE A MIRACLE AND AN INSPIRATION.
    DO ALL THE THINGS THAT GIVE YOU JOY AND ENERGY BUT PLEASE DON'T OVERDO.

    I COULD FEEL YOUR HEALING IN YOUR WRITING. ITS THAT PALPABLE.
    ENJOY THE LIFE YOU FOUGHT SO HARD FOR.
    GO WITH GOD.
    LOL,
    COLIN

    LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRL !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I am so happy for you. I agree with colin, you are an inspiration to so many women. And also jg's description of your bravery that is sure to help others. I'm not in Florida but thank God for you and Preston. Judy R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cynthia! I think of you often, and am so happy to hear you're turning the corner on this, and making further progress in your recovery. I'm in awe of your bravery, as I'm sure you've been dismissed by more than just the wound care doctor during this challenge. Please stay positive, remain strong and know there are those out there offering you much love and light.

    If you don't remember me, I'm the guy who contacted you from Tokyo last summer, and met with you to pick up some of the best food we had during our stay. Thank you again for your kindness, and I'm sorry to have bothered you at such a trying time, but, selfishly, I'm so happy to have met you. You're an inspiration!

    As an aside, our family has kept with our decision to leave Tokyo, though we've chosen the Island of Hawaii, Hawaii as our next destination. My wife is having a hard time mustering up the will to leave her homeland after we worked so hard to finally get here, but it must be done, and we settled on a half-way point between her family here, and my family in Bradenton. If/when we do visit Florida again I hope to meet with you!

    Be Well,
    Carl Langan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carl,
      YES, I remember you and can't thank you enough for your comments here. On days that aren't so good for me I like to read encouraging words like yours. Thank you so much for supporting and applauding my path.

      I bet it was a hard decision to leave Tokyo and I know you and yours will be happy no matter where you are because of YOUR giving nature.

      Good luck, best always and I look forward to meeting you again soon.

      Warmly,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  6. Hi Cynthia--

    Wow. What a wonderful story. Not wonderful that you're battle breast cancer, but wonderful that you're finding relief and are healing. Thank you for bringing me up to speed on where you are and I look forward to seeing you again in a couple of weeks. This whole Florida tour has taken on a life of its own and I'm thrilled with the energy you all are generating there.

    May your body continue to heal and your life be Exhibit A for leadership and encouragement,

    Best regards,

    Joel Salatin
    Polyface Farm

    ReplyDelete